No products in the cart.
Perfect for playing dress up, superhero capes provide hours and hours of fun for your child. Luckily, they’re also easy and affordable to make, so there’s no need to visit an expensive costume shop! Here’s a tutorial on how to sew this versatile and fun item on your ESS50.
What you need:
- 2 metres of fabric (using two types of material creates a reversible cape – twice the fun!)
- Sew on Velcro (These are safer than ties or cord, which can be a hazard for smaller children)
- Fold one piece of your material in half down what will be the length of the cape.
- Using a fabric pen or chalk, outline half a cape shape on the folded material. For the neck, take a large plate and place it on the top of the folded half of material. Use it to trace out an outline that will fit around your child’s neck, keeping about 5 cm of fabric from the edge for the shoulders.
- Cut out your cape 1.5cm outside your traced pattern so that you have room to sew.
- Unfold your cape and use it as a template for your other piece of material so that they match.
- Place the two pieces of material on top of each other with the correct sides against each other and pin.
- Sew together along your chalked lines, leaving a 5cm gap to turn the material through.
- Clip around the boarder of the cape neck to release any tension.
- Turn cape right side out and hand stitch gap.
- Cut two Velcro squares and hand sew them onto the opposite sides of the cape so that you can fix it around your child’s neck.
Affordable, reliable Empisal sewing machines for your next project
Whether you’re learning to sew or a professional, Empisal has the right sewing machine for you. With the ESS50, you’ll be able to take on new projects with ease and get the most out of your sewing skills.