No products in the cart.
Attending a friend or family member’s baby shower? Or celebrating the birth of a new little bundle of joy? There is no greater gift than something home-made from the heart! Here is how to sew a beautiful receiving blanket:
What You Will Need:
In order to start this sewing project, aside from your sewing machine and sewing equipment, you will need only two things:
- 2 x 1 metres of appropriately patterned/coloured fabric, and
- Matching thread.
You can choose the same fabric for both pieces. Or, you can mix-and-match for a bit of creative flair. Either way, the best type of material for making receiving blankets is flannel.
How it Is Done:
- Begin by making sure that both pieces of fabric are the same size, and by cutting away any stray ends.
- Place the fabric together, and use your sewing machine to sew around all of the edges.
- Leave a small opening so that you are able to pull the blanket the right way around once you are done sewing.
- Pull the blanket through so that it is the right way around, and use an iron to ensure that all edges are even and flat.
- Once you are satisfied, the final step is to whip stitch the opening shut and VOILA.
- Experienced sewers may also choose to complete the sewing project with a decorative stitch if they wish. All in all, it should not take you more than 10 minutes to complete.
For more information on how to sew beautiful items for a new baby, or for details on our range of affordable sewing machines, sewing equipment and overlockers, be sure to contact Empisal today!