No products in the cart.
Visit any sewing shop and you’ll find a wide range of different types of threads, each suited to different types of sewing. Here’s a quick guide to finding the right thread for your project:
- General purpose thread: Available in polyester or mercanised cotton, this thread can be used for sewing most types of fabrics on a machine or by hand.
- Silk thread: Designed for sewing silks and wool, this thread is fine, flexible and won’t leave holes. It is, however, a much more expensive thread.
- Woolly nylon thread: This loosely spun thread is used for overlockers and decorative effects. It is strong, stretchy and soft, giving the best coverage for seams and rolled edges.
- Machine embroidery thread: This is a fine, high-sheen thread that is used in combination with bobbin fill when creating embroidery, applique, patching, quilting and more.
- Bobbin thread: This is a fine, lightweight thread used in combination with machine embroidery thread when quilting or embroidering fabric.
- Glow-in-the-dark thread: A fun, novelty thread, this is used in decorative sewing.
- Metallic thread: A polyester thread with a metallic sheen, this thread comes in a wide range of colours and is used for decorative sewing.
- Top stitching cotton: This is a thicker, strong thread used for top stitching on denim or making buttonholes.
- Wash away thread: Highly soluble, this thread is ideal for basting stitches as they simply dissolve and wash away in water. It is often used when doing applique or quilting.
- Decorative thread: This is a variegated cotton thread used for decorative sewing.
- Invisible thread: This thread is transparent, allowing the fabric to retail patterns, textures and effects without revealing the stitching. This is often used in applique and quilting.
Affordable sewing equipment from trusted specialists
At Empisal, we’ve been providing high quality, affordable sewing machines, sewing kits, overlockers, haberdashery products and ironing equipment to South Africa and Sub Saharan Africa for over 35 years. Ideal for anyone who wants to learn to sew as well as accomplished crafters and professionals, our machines and equipment are reliable, precise and durable.