Easy Charitable Sewing Projects for Mandela Day
Why not take on some sewing machine projects for this year’s Nelson Mandela International Day on 18 July?
About Mandela Day
Every 18 July since the United Nations declared his birthday an international day, the world has reflected on Nelson Mandela’s legacy, grateful for his life, his leadership, and his dedication to humanity.
As shared on the official website, “No matter how small your action, Mandela Day is about changing the world for the better, just as Nelson Mandela did every day”.
Sewing for Charity Ideas
If you sew, there are various ways you can contribute to charitable organizations. While participating in one of your favourite hobbies, you are also assisting people and animals in need. We’ve compiled a list of items you can make for charity:
- Face masks, scrub caps, and hospital gowns for front line workers and people who are vulnerable. COVID-19… say no more.
- Reusable menstrual pads are a cost-effective and environmentally friendly solution for the 4 000 000 girls in South Africa between the ages of 13 and 19 who miss school on a consistent basis because they don’t have access to sanitary products.
- Dolls can make a difference in a variety of ways:
- As a comfort for children enduring invasive medical procedures or other challenging circumstances.
- A reporting and counselling tool for children who have experienced trauma or abuse.
- For seniors with Alzheimer’s or dementia to cuddle – an action which soothes their agitation.
- Alzheimer’s activity mats help to calm the restless fidgeting of those with Alzheimer’s and other types of dementia or autism.
- Cage comforters for animals at your local SPCA. Especially now that it’s winter, these small quilts make the cage a more comfortable place for shelter animals. Because they reduce the animal’s stress, cage comforters also help to increase its odds of being adopted.
Before you get started, check with the charity you have in mind:
- Whether they accept handmade items.
- How they process donations.
- If there are other things you can give that may be more helpful.