No products in the cart.
If you are just starting out as an amateur seamstress, a great garment that will not only be loved but will help you learn to sew as you put it together is none other than a fluffy tutu. Your little one will be overjoyed at the prospect of becoming a ballerina. And best of all, it is cheap, easy and can be done on any affordable sewing machine (like the Empisal Creations).
- What You Are Going To Need
- satin fabric
- 2,5 cm wide elastic
- The first step when sewing any garment is the taking of correct measurements. In this case, you are going to be taking the measurements of:
- The circumference of your child’s waist, and
- The length from the waist to the desired length down the leg.
- Cut the satin and interlining to the waist measurement. Add 5cm for ease and for comfort. Cut the fabric 12cm wide. Cut the tulle into strips. Each strip should be between 5 to 8cm thick and as long as the desired length. The number of strips needed depend on the size of the tutu’s desired fullness. Cut the elastic to the wait measurement.
- Following manufactures instructions, iron the interlining to the wrong side of the waistband fabric. Turn the edges up and over for a nice finish.
- Scrunch up 2 to 3 strips at a time, and stitch them in place along the 5cm crease line to rightside of waistband. Continue adding additional strips all around the waistband as close together as possible. Overlapping the tulle strips will create fullness.
- Fold the waistband and stitch it together to create a circle. Then fold the waist band in half along the centre. Stitch it closed. But, remember to leave a small opening so you can tunnel the elastic in. Once the elastic has been tunnelled in, stitch that small opening closed and your tutu is complete.
For over 30 years Empisal has been providing sewing equipment to Sub-Saharan Africa. From sewing machines to overlockers, we have the right tool for the job. And what better way to learn to sew than by taking on a project to make your little one smile. For more information, contact us today.