Flatlock stitching is a very distinctive type of stitching often found on tracksuits, sweaters and raglans, and can be decorative as well as providing a strong and durable seam. It’s a 2 or 3-thread stitch and, while it looks complex, it’s easy to do with a little practice. Here’s a quick guide from the team at Empisal, manufacturers of the EOL4D AND 760C OVER LOCKERS
Set up your overlocker
Every machine is different, so it’s important to look at the settings recommended in your manual in order to get the right tension on each of the threads. Also, be sure to consult your manual and attach the correct foot to your overlocker.
Tips for sewing a great flatlock stitch
- Work on samples: The trick of learning this stitch is trying out a few different methods on scrap material until you’re sure that you’re getting exactly the right tension for the threads and loopers.
- Loosen the needle and upper looper tension: If your stitches aren’t coming out right, the tension for the needle and upper looper may still be too high, so try reducing it slightly and redoing the stitch for a better result.
- Tighten the lower looper: Keep the lower looper nice and tight, but be careful of applying too much tension, as the seam may pop when stretched.
- Try woolly nylon: This type of thread is great for this stitch, as it adds tension in the looper and is fluffier than other thread, leading to better overage on the fabric, You also get cotton with the name floss that you can use.
- Keep a generous cutting width: When pulled apart, it’s important that the fabric aligns with the seam so that there’s no gap, so keep your cutting width more generous and run a few samples until it sits correctly.
- Iron: Finally, iron the seams well to make sure they lie nice and flat.
Overlockers and sewing machines for every skill level
At Empisal, we’ve been providing high quality, affordable sewing machines, over lockers, steam presses and ironing equipment to South Africa and Sub Saharan Africa for over 35 years.
Whether you’re learning to sew or a professional, Empisal has the right sewing machine for you. With the EOL4D AND 760C OVER LOCKERS you’ll be able to take on new projects with ease and get the most out of your sewing skills.
For more information on our sewing machines and products, please contact us today.