Every Superhero needs a cape. Gone are the days of tying a towel around your little one’s neck, this sewing machine project tutorial will teach you how to sew your child their very own superhero cape, so they can fight the bad guys in style!
- 2 meters of fabric
- Measuring Tape
- Sewing Supplies
- Tear two pieces of fabric 78 cm in length, then lay the two pieces on top of each other and fold them in half. You will need a marking tool, such as chalk or a pencil. On one end of the fabric mark a line at 28 cm. On the other end mark a line at 14 cm.
- Using a measuring tape or a piece of long string, connect the two marks and draw a straight line between.
- Cut your fabric 1.5 cm away from the line you just created and cut a straight line across the wider bottom edge.
- Find a bowl or plate that measures 20 cm across. Lay the round object on top of your fabric at 14 cm from the top and 10 cm from the fold. Then trace the object from edge to edge on your fabric.
- Next, cut 1.5 cm away from this round line you have created.
- While the fabric is still folded, gently round the bottom and top corners of the superhero cape. Unfold your fabric and it should look like a cape!
- Leave the two pieces of fabric lying on top of each other and head to your sewing machine. Pinning isn’t essential, just make sure you keep them lined up while you are sewing.
- Sew around the cape at 1.5 cm and remember to back stitch. Leave a 5-cm opening so you can turn the cape right side out (I recommend leaving it on the bottom of the cape).
- Once you have sewn, clip around the neck of the cape to relax the seam.
- Turn the cape right side out! Warm up your iron and press the edges and all the wrinkles flat. Then hand sew that little opening closed.
- Cut a square of Velcro. Sew the squares close to the edge, placing them on opposite sides of the cape. They will overlap when you put them together.
This sewing project will make your child super happy! Attach it around the neck and watch them fly!
For over 35 years, Empisal has been supplying haberdashery items, overlockers, sewing equipment and steam press items. Whether you’re about to start your sewing journey and are looking for an affordable sewing machine, or whether you are an old hand and need to top up your supply, Empisal is a one-stop-shop for all your sewing machine project needs.
Follow the links for more information about us or our products. Otherwise, contact us today!