Show up to the next dinner party or event in style, sporting a beautiful bottle of bubbly or mouth-watering wine in a hand-made wine holder bag. Create your own in a flash by following our simple, step-by-step sewing machine tutorial below.
Sewing Equipment And Materials That You’ll Need
- 1 fat quarter main fabric
- 25,4 cm (10″) square contrast fabric
- 0,23 metre (1/4 yard) lining
- fusible fleece
- 50,8 cm (20″) ribbon; 1,9 cm (3/4″) to 2,54 cm (1″) wide
- 50,8 cm (20″) of contrast binding
- Appliqués of your choice
- Basic sewing tools
Once you have your sewing machine, sewing equipment and tools at the ready, you can begin your wine holder project by cutting the material.
- From your main fabric, you will need to cut two rectangles of different sizes:
- The first rectangle should be 19 cm x 20 cm;
- With the second one measuring 19 cm x 39 cm.
- The square contrast fabric should be 19 cm x 22 cm.
- The lining and fusible fleece should both be cut into rectangles measuring 19 cm x 79 cm.
Sewing Machine Instructions
Now the exciting work begins!
- Using your sewing machine, you’ll want to stitch the right sides of the smaller piece of the main fabric together with the contrast fabric. Press a seam allowance (0,6 cm) towards the contrast.
- On the opposite side of the contrast fabric, join the larger rectangle of the main fabric with the right sides together. Press the seam allowance towards the contrast. The end result is a unit measuring 19 cm x 79 cm.
- Place the unit with the right side facing down and fuse the fleece into place. Apply the lining on top and finish off with topstitching/quilting.
- Follow the instructions on the package and fuse the applique designs in place. Use a pressing cloth to protect your iron.
- Fold the ribbon in half and baste it in place approximately 11 cm below the top edge on the long rectangle.
- Match the right sides together, fold in half lengthways and sew with a 1,3 cm seam allowance.