No products in the cart.
Whether you’re in desperate need of a case to make toting your laptop from place to place easier, or whether you want to surprise your significant other with a thoughtful gift, sewing a laptop case is one of those easy sewing projects everyone should try.
Wouldn’t it be easier to buy a laptop case? Yes, if you like the ugly, boring and expensive options currently available. Sewing projects give you the opportunity to be creative and make something that you actually love.
Here’s how you can make your own laptop case:
What You Need
- About half a metre of your fabric of choice for the outside surface of the case (cotton is recommended),
- About half a metre of lining for the inside of the case,
- Sewing thread, and
- Sewing equipment, which includes a sewing machine and flexible measuring tape.
- Steam press, and
- Velcro or buttons.
Measure your laptop’s height, length and width using a flexible measuring tape. Use these measurements to determine how to cut your fabric. This should be as follows:
- The length of the fabric = the height of the computer + the length of the computer + 2,54 cm (1 inch).
- The width of the fabric = the height of the computer + the width of the computer + 2,54 cm (1 inch).
- Cut two pieces of outer fabric using the dimensions obtained above. Do the same for the inner lining fabric.
- Place the two rectangular pieces of outer fabric together with the right sides facing each other. Place one piece of the lining fabric on the outer fabric with the right side facing up. This means the wrong sides of both fabrics will be facing each other. Turn the fabrics over and repeat with the second lining rectangle on the other side.
- Sew the edges of the fabric together leaving a 1,27 cm (half inch) allowance from the edge. Leave the top raw (unsown).
- Turn the case right side out to reveal the right side. Tuck the lining inside and sew the hem of the mouth of the case to join the lining and the outer fabric.
- Finishing The Case
You may want to use an interlocker to neaten and strengthen the hems on the inside of the case. The team at Empisal manufactures affordable and high-quality interlockers that you may find handy for this and many other sewing projects.
For more information contact us today.