Every fabric has its own qualities and some are more challenging to use than others. We all have our favourites, but expanding our repertoire is also a great way to stretch our talents and take on more exciting and rewarding projects! Here are some unusual fabrics for you to try, courtesy of Empisal – South Africa’s sewing machine specialists:
- Cotton voile: If you love quilting cottons and would like to bring their beautiful patterns and designs into your wardrobe, then cotton voile is the way to do it. It has the softness and drape that is needed for clothing, and it’s also lightweight – ideal for summer blouses, floaty tunic tops and dresses.
- Silk knit: Create something truly luxurious with a lovely silk knit fabric. The material has a subtle shimmer and is often available in a wide range of colours and patterns, but be sure to use the correct needle and test your stitching beforehand to ensure that you get familiar with this fabric.
- Cotton-silk blends: Get the best of both worlds with this fabric! It’s easy to sew with, comfortable to wear and (although often more difficult to find) comes in a huge range of patterns and colours ideal for dresses, shirts and skirts.
- Rayon jersey: If you enjoy working with interlock twist yarn fabrics (ITY), then rayon and bamboo jersey are great alternatives to polyester products. Made with natural plant fibres, these fabrics are breathable, travel well and wash easily.
- Wool double knit: With a more luxurious feel than rayon, poly or lycra ponte knits but a similar weight, this fabric is durable, easy to fit and washes well. Wool jersey fabrics offer similar great quality but a lighter weight, making it ideal for dresses and tops.
Sewing with new fabrics is a breeze when you have an Empisal sewing machine!
At Empisal, we’ve been providing high quality, affordable sewing machines, steam presses, sewing kits, overlockers and ironing equipment to South Africa and Sub Saharan Africa for over 35 years.
Whether you’re learning to sew or a professional, Empisal has the right sewing machine for you. With the EES10, you’ll be able to take on new sewing projects with ease and get the most out of your sewing skills.